Contact KAREN 082 475 8767 or GRAEME 084 245 2490 firstname.lastname@example.org Tel/fax 056 8181814
OUR PLACE: Dogs allowed.
- RIVER WALKS – follow island paths. Rugged. 1km+. Up to 1 hour.
- VELD WALK – Cross road and follow fences. Easy. 3km. Up to 1 hour.
- VREDEFORT DOME talks and trails – Ask at Reception for halfday & fullday. Prof Graeme Addison, owner of Otters’ Haunt is a well known writer on popular science and technology, and a tour guide for this area. Tours may take the form of hikes, drives or mountain biking. Call Graeme to discuss (number above).
See our Rates for day parking, day visitors, discounts for families and groups. Fees include short map briefing. Guests at Otters’ Haunt may ask for a free briefing.
The following are our recommended hikes for the area.
LOCAL HIKES: Inquire about entrance fees and dogs. Briefing at Otters Haunt.
- RIETPOORT – Moderate. Mountain slope, good views. Well marked nature trail. 3-5km+. 1 hour+. Follow Kopjeskraal Road back to Parys, turn left onto R500 (to Fochville) and left again at fork to Potchefstroom. About 2km later on the right is the gravel track to Rietpoort farm.
- KOPJESKRAAL – Moderate to steep, very good views. 4X4 tracks and paths. 4-5km. 1-2 hours. Turn left out of Otters gate following Kopjeskraal Road to T junction Koedoeslaagte, left again onto gravel, ikm to gate of Kopjeskraal Country Lodge on left. Buzz for entry OR take lefthand sliding gate. Drive up to farm guest house and park. Trail goes along foot of koppies to the north and then up the hill to the lookout, getting very steep.
- LANGUEDOC – Easy. 2km, 45min. Walk down to the Vaal river for a spectacular view. The entrance is just past Kopjeskraal Lodge, on the left. The track is the oldest crossing from Free State into Transvaal and passes Voortrekker graves. This is a private property and you must phone in advance.
- TWEEZER ROCKS – Easy to moderate. 4-7km. 1-2 hours. Drive through Parys and park at the Parys hospital. Get a map from Otters’ Haunt. The walk goes across common land around a prominent koppie with a rock suspended between two boulders (the “Tweezers”). Dogs can do this. Walk can include a route around Parys airport: no dogs.
DOME HIKES: Inquire about entrance fees and dogs. Briefing at Otters Haunt.
- THABELA THABENG – about 25km from Otters’ Haunt on the North West side of the Vaal in the Dome Bergland. Very attractive mountain paths with a hike to a viewing deck. Allow several hours. Entry fee normally
- BOPLAAS/TIERFONTEIN – about 30km from Otters’ Haunt on the North West side, on the crest of the Dome Bergland. Rugged hiking in kloofs ridges. Several hours.
- THWANE – about 25km from Otters. Bushveld game farm with hike to mountain view. +27 (0)82 870 3601. Ask about entrance fee and availability.
- DEELFONTEIN – about 30km from Otters. Berg trails for hikers and bikers. Hiking on a variety of shorter and longer day hikes or on the 5-day Meteorite hiking trail.
Information may change at any time. Always inquire. Most of the above trails can also be mountain biked.